Character

Friday, February 28, 2014 Francisco Carneiro 0 Comments

Everybody makes a difference in the world, in their family, colleagues & friends. Everybody makes a mark, even if it's small. However sometimes i think if i had money, well big money and i wanted to make a mark in my country what would i do?

As the readers of my Blog know my main ideas are

1.There is oversupply of everything in the world. Capitalism is deflationary.
2.Machines & robots are improving fast. In some areas man is still ahead of the machine but i think time is not in favor of man!
3.Even if you have several diplomas it's easy to be without a job & with a big debt to pay
4. College & diplomas don't guarantee success. Oversupply of diplomas too.
5.From the bunch of people that finish my College in 1990 some did well in life and some didn't? I guess it's not enough to get the diploma.

What is stronger than all the diplomas?

It's has been proved that what makes people succeed in all areas of life is grit/tenacity/persistence or Character.

I took this from Wikipedia

Conscientiousness is the personality trait that is defined as being thorough, careful, or vigilant; it implies a desire to do a task well.[1] Conscientious people are efficient and organized as opposed to easy-going and careless. They exhibit a tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully, and aim for achievement; they display planned rather than spontaneous behavior; and they are generally organized and dependable. It is manifested in characteristic behaviors such as being neat, and systematic; also including such elements as carefulness, thoroughness, self-organization, and deliberation (the tendency to think carefully before acting).[2] Conscientiousness is one of the five traits of the Five Factor Model of personality, and is an aspect of what has traditionally been referred to as having character. Conscientious individuals are generally hard working and reliable. When taken to an extreme, they may also be "workaholics", perfectionists, and compulsive in their behavior. People who score low on conscientiousness tend to be more laid back, less goal-oriented, and less driven by success; they also are more likely to engage in antisocial and criminal behavior

The same idea in one of the best Blogs:

http://www.farnamstreetblog.com/2014/02/angela-duckworth-grit/

The key question is, can this trait be thought or trained?

Yes


I would set up a foundation with the aim of funding/helping to develop this trait. But isn't school supposed to do exactly this. I don't think so, most of them just try to pass some facts & knowledge but not much else.


I would try to instigate children to be


organized
don't give up
to figure out that hard working makes a difference
to Focus and not get distracted
to believe that i can make a difference in my own destiny

is short to build a strong Character

That would be my foundation. I guess we already have some institutions (Ex:Competitive Sports) that try to do this already but it's not enough.


PS If i had big money i would also buy a nice Horse for me & my kids to ride daily. Today is my son Vasco 11th birthday. I am going to lunch out with him.



0 comentários: