I am leaving BPI after 30 years at the end on the month.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Francisco Carneiro 14 Comments


"The beginning is always today."
Mary Shelley

I am leaving BPI after 30 years at the end on the month. It was a great run. It was fun.
When I started we could smoke in the office. I used to smoke pipe
People could smoke in the planes also
There was no cell phone or email. Then there was FAX!
There was no security in the airports you just board the plane.
I weighted 95 kg.
The bank paid me to study options in INSEAD. At the time that was a big deal and very expensive
I bought the first Bloomberg to BPI, before we only had Reuters &Telerate
I broke my legs in Mont Blanc in 1994
In those times we spent many nights working in the office to price some deals.
I used to arrive before 6 am everyday. In some years I had zero holidays, work was too exciting. Too much to do and no kids i just worked and worked. No time for sports.
The risk department was small and no regulators!
I had to get authorization from the CEO to buy my first HP 12C
Participated in the first Private banking team
We hired Bankers Trust to teach us about var in the 90’s
We worked with First Boston, Manufactured Hannover and Nat West…..all gone
I set up economic research in the 90’s from zero
I set up structured products and after that Hedge Fund business in 1999 also from zero
We signed Gavekal before everybody else, I invited david Swansen in 2004 and I read Dennis Gartman and Shilling ever since
we bought John Paulson in 2000. It was a 5 man shop.
I was in front of the screen trading in 9/11
We  fired Madoff in 2005 when it was one of the most profitable positions for us, it looked stupid……………
I weighted 90kg in 2005
I did more than 100 business trips representing BPI. Visited Hong Kong, Tokio, Singapur, São Paulo, Luanda, Timor, NY, Tampa, Miami, Chicago and San Francisco besides all of Europe of course.
I did my first Transportugal in 2010 (The biggest mountain bike Ultra marathon in Portugal)
I am very thankful to BPI for hiring me with 21 years without my University degree complete for the back office and letting me do so many things
I thank my bosses for all these years
Technology and innovation are making a world a better place for sure.
Shortage is not the problem abundance and oversupply is the problem.
To be an optimist paid a lot. In Europe paid to buy BUNDS!
There is always a bull market in the world I intend to find it and profit from it ….That is my plan. there is so much to do!
I am weighting 78 kg today!





My new contacts are



You don't need more stuff more gadgets more upgrades. What you need is a better you. Amen to this 

https://thoughtmeme.blogspot.com/2016/09/do-you-really-need-i-phone-7.html


Then and now



14 comments:

  1. Caro Francisco
    I'm proud of you!
    Parabéns pelo teu percurso!
    Um grande abraço
    João Cortez de Lobão

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end of a very funny cycle! Good old times, almost a deal club , everybody knew everybody! The Show must go on!!! GO AND SPREAD YOUR MAGIC AWAY !!! YOU WILL SURVIVE: At first I was afraid I was petrified
    Kept thinkin' I could never live without carry by my side;
    But then I spent so many nights
    Thinkin' how it did me wrong
    And I grew strong
    And so you're back from tighter space
    I just walked in to find you broke with that sad look upon your face
    I should have sold that stupid bond
    I should have bought that CDS
    If I'd've known for just one second btas would trade at 75
    Go on now, go walk out the door
    Just turn around now
    ('cause) you're not welcome anymore
    Weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with carry
    Did I crumble
    Did you think I'd lay down and die?
    Oh no, not.I. I will survive
    Oh as long as I know how to love I know I'll stay alive;
    I've got all my life to live,
    I've got all my love to give and I'll survive,
    I will survive. Hey hey.
    It took all the strength I had not to fall apart
    Kept trying' hard to mend the pieces of my broken book,
    And I spent oh so many nights
    Just feeling sorry for myself. I used to cry
    But now I hold my head up high
    And you see me somebody new
    I'm not that bullish little person still clippin coupon,
    And so you feel like droppin' in
    And just expect me to put bids,
    Now I'm savin' all my cash for US treasuries
    Go on now.. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TUDO DE BOM AMIGO!! DONT DISAPPEAR!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Francisco, te desejo toda sorte do mundo! Conte sempre com os amigos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boa sorte Francisco, com certeza se manter esse pique de trabalho (acho q até menos) tu vai se dar bem rapidinho, vai com tudo !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck my friend. Please stay in touch. Let's get together when you're next in NYC.
    Best,
    Balkir

    ReplyDelete
  7. Não sei o que gosto mais, se a descrição do percurso ou as duas fotografias comparativas!! Muito bom.
    Francisco, faço votos que esta nova fase seja repleta de novos sucessos pessoais e profissionais.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorei Francisco! Obrigada! :-)
    Beijinho
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good memories. Good luck and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boa sorte, Francisco . Um abraco .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tive o prazer de te conhecer e o privilégio de trabalhar junto contigo em alguns projectos (infelizmente poucos). Sempre aprendi algo de novo e a tua atitude contagiante foi sempre inspiradora. Obrigado e muito sucesso nos novos desafios.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As maiores felicidades para novo e longo percurso que ainda te falta fazer...já estou com saudades tuas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Caro Francisco, desejo-te a melhor sorte, da mesma forma que fizeste comigo quando saí do BPI. Tenho a dizer que dificilmente teria um melhor chefe de equipa. A minha ambição cresceu após ter trabalhado contigo... E passei de 98kg em 2003 para 75kg hoje! Mario Boucinha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boa Sorte Francisco, o mundo está a mudar, muitas vezes duvido se para melhor. Espero que encontres o teu Bull Market, mas aproveita a maturidade para tirares partido das coisas realmente imprortantes. Beijinhos

    ReplyDelete